A To Do list for when you get that sudden “I Resign” notice!
Don’t get blind-sided by the sudden resignation of a good employee…here’s a checklist to keep you on track with HR obligations and protect your greatest asset—the ongoing viability of your business!
Employers often give ample attention to their on-boarding process when welcoming new hires—devoting extra time and attention in getting these workers quickly up to speed. But what about when employees leave? A formalized employee “off-boarding” process not only mitigates legal and security threats, but can also help you gain honest feedback on improving your business.
In a time of severe labor-pool shortages, formalizing a great send-off of a valued employee increases the possibility that they might consider returning! Let your dependable, worthy, soon-to-be-ex-employees know they can be rehired!
- Communicate the change quickly: Notice received, employee’s supervisor notifies HR immediately. HR then informs payroll and IT of the upcoming personnel change.
- Prepare the paperwork: Have the employee sign a letter of termination or resignation. Include nondisclosure or non-compete agreements if applicable.
- Initiate a knowledge transfer: Ask the employee to document essential details about their role. Employee meets with project/department teams to transfer duties and information
- Schedule an exit interview: Ask for honest feedback and share results with management. Acting on any complaints deemed appropriate.
- Recover Company Assets: Collect company-issued devices and equipment. Collect security badges and keys. Closeout company credit cards or expense accounts.
- Celebrate the Employee’s Future: Schedule a farewell happy hour or lunch for the employee. A goodbye gesture of a card or parting gift may be given.
- Leave the door open for a return! Ensure the employee’s contact info is current. Ask departing employee to refer or recommend their replacement
No HR Department?
Too busy, or don’t have the personnel to complete this checklist?
No worries! Call Cardinal Services—you can outsource all your HR needs to us. Give us a call at (800) 342-4742 and ask about our HR Services that can be customized to fit your business needs.